Adventures In Advertising

Thursday, June 16, 2011 | |



I don't think anybody denies the fact that Disney knows how to advertise (or cross promote), but their ads don't usually jump out at me. Yes, they are executed flawlessly and look perfect; but that doesn't really do anything for me. Generally, ads (and theirs are no exception) seem flat. Too perfect, not enough panache.

I'm not saying this ad is particularly ballsy, but there's a certain subtle emotion playing through it that isn't the usual overtly happy that Disney tends to go with.

Star Tours has always been one of my favorite rides. I like simulators, but this one had something special to it. Needless to say I was rather disappointed that it'd be closed for Krissy and my post-wedding vacation at Disney.

And the feeling Darth Vader gets when he sees the "Coming Soon" sign is exactly how I felt.

Of course, the rest of the ad is fun and quirky too, which is great, but what makes it for me is how jarring the commercial is. Everything stops. Drama.

I approve. It get's a stamp.

0 comments: