The Rally To Restore Sanity And/Or Fear

Monday, November 8, 2010 | |

This will be pretty picture-heavy; be forewarned.

_DSC8893

In The Beginning...

This past weekend was Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert's Rally To Restore Sanity And/Or Fear. I suppose you could consider it a parody of Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor rally, except with less tea bagging and more unadulterated awesome. Let me begin by saying it was a very long, exhausting day of essentially standing still. We got up around three in the morning to leave at four. The bed was pretty stiff which, combined with the fact that we were a bit sick, basically meant that neither of us slept very well; I think I slept for, at most, a few hours. Four a.m. hits, and it's time to hit the road; two and a half hours later and we arrived at the metro station just outside of D.C Thankfully, there are 3,400 parking spaces and we were able to park and wait for the trains to show up at 7:00. I was excited seeing the people around who were headed to the rally; 'twas refreshing seeing older people going and not just young people looking for a free show.
_DSC8877

After settling in, we were greeted by various games and videos on the Jumbotron, which made it less painful to wait for the show to start. All in all. waiting went by fairly quicker than I'd have thought. There were all kinds of people with all sorts of signs all similarly excited for whatever it was that we were all about to witness/ It was exhilarating/

Our Surroundings...

_DSC8811
Settled in for a long day, we found a place to stand (and stand, and stand...). We were actually surprisingly close. If I had to guess, I'd say we were maybe one hundred feet away or so. Alas, neither Krissy nor myself are very tall, so without the perfect conditions, seeing stages can be tough. The media pit was in front of us and to the left; one of the comedy central cameras was in front of us; and a tent, which I think was another media tent (for viewing and such) was in front of us and to the right.

Some fellow rally goers in our surrounding area
_DSC8828

Unfortunately, to say Krissy's view was obstructed would be an understatement
_DSC8823

There was an older lady sitting behind us (this was before the rally, some people had brought chairs so they weren't standing for 8+ hours). Personally, I really liked her sign.
_DSC8806

This Sikh gentleman was next to me. He was on camera a lot (probably the turban and beard). He was nice. He was pretty patient with a girl who insisted on everyone surrounding him putting towels on their heads in an effort to get on tv.
_DSC8850

This guy was to our right.
_DSC8815

This one, too.
_DSC8809

This girl was to our left
_DSC8803

This was our view. You can see the edge of the media pit to the left (note the stairs), the tent to the right, and the cameraman (and his damned ladder!) basically right in front of us.
_DSC8858b

Even Jeffrey came along for the trip! Here he is in our free noisemaker/megaphone type thing.
_DSC8846

The Media Comes Calling...

_DSC8958

Here is one of the anchors giving a report during the rally. I'm not sure who he is but hes older and looked distinguished, ergo I liked him.
_DSC8884

Then there's these two (from CNN). The woman was taking notes, asking people questions, etc. She seemed so bored and uninterested, though. Then there's the hotshot in the aviators and leather jacket. He seemed pretty happy with himself hopping about; he seems like a douchebag to me.
_DSC8822

A cameraman from NBC News
_DSC8849

Before the rally began, one of the cameramen (I think) was carrying his son around on his shoulders. I feel weird taking pictures of kids in public sometimes. Not that I don't want to. I always want to. But I know adults, and I don't need some errant parent going apeshit on me because they take offense, so this is the picture I got.
_DSC8848

I liked this photographer. In a sea of telephoto lenses and ultramodern digital cameras here he was taking a photo with a panoramic camera. It looks like his other camera might be a Leica, too, but I can't tell (and, truth be told, have never seen one in person)
_DSC8950


Let The Games Begin...

_DSC8857

Jon Stewart singing was an interesting experience. The song was exceptionally funny.
_DSC8969

Sheryl Crow performing with Kid Rock backed by The Roots (who are actually kind of awesome)
_DSC8997

Mick Foley (who is awesome) accepting his award
_DSC8988

The O'Jay's performing Love Train
_DSC8921

Papier Mache puppet Steven Colbert: The fear monster
_DSC9021

John Oliver (dressed as Peter Pan) coming out to help Jon Stewart slay the fear monster
_DSC9035

Tony Bennett performing America, The Beautiful, which was awesome/ The picture is a bit low quality though.
_DSC9071

The end performance. Mavis Staples, Tony Bennett, Ozzy, Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam), Jeff Tweedy, Sheryl Crow, The Roots, The Mythbusters, and many more!
_DSC9081

I like John Oliver's expression in this picture
_DSC9078

A better picture showing more of the people on stage than the previous pictures
_DSC9101

Headed home (tired, achy feet)! At this point we still had a two hour drive back to Delaware. I liked these advertisements set out by Media Matters though. Very nice tie-in to the rally. I'm not sure if they were only in the metro or not, since we didn't explore too much of D.C. but there were banners inside the metro stations, too. Very cool. I approve.
_DSC9176

These Are Not End Times


The rally was amazing, and awe-inspiring. It's hard to fathom 250,000 people, but one can't help but feel flooded by all sorts of emotions. I can't express how happy I am that we attended the rally; it was amazing feeling a part of something. The experience was absolutely amazing and I hope that people will learn from it, and that the rhetoric in this country can change.

Thumbs up from Tricky Dick
_DSC9161

0 comments: