An Old Poem I Wrote

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 | |

A Breath of Spring

Whereby you’re gone, a summer’s sigh;
When will this break become undone.
This day, so soon, I hope to come;
Another time to see you nigh.

A star struck visit here or there,
Could never satiate this burdened heart.
You’ll be my center, my twilight mare;
This awkward path—no longer dark.

This waking love had never shone;
A parenthesis ne’er stands alone.

—Dennis Maksymiw


I wrote this while I was in college for some random required class. Well, it wasn't a class per se. It was this weird required mini class they had all freshman do. We'd get into groups, talk, get to know each other, and have these mini assignments. For the life of me I can't remember anything from it except the room it was in and that one person wanted to be an astronomy major, but wasn't. (I went to an engineering school).

I remember that this poem got entered into a poetry book. I don't think it's special though because I feel like they invited a lot of poems in. They tried to get me to go to Florida and get some award or trophy thing, too. It seemed scammy, though, like the Who's Who of American College Students thing where you pay $60 and they send you a book with your picture, and the pictures of 5,000 other kids in it. Needless to say I didn't go, but I did let them use my poem. It was fun, though.

For a long time my poem was viewable on the internet on poetry.com, or something. Unfortunately, the website was bought out by some big company and it's no longer there. But I found it in my e-mail and I thought it'd be fun to post and share it. I like it, it's kind of funny, but sweet. If I recall, I wrote it fairly quickly, and I was quite pleased that I was able to use the word parenthesis.

In high school, my freshman year, I had a project for English class. I remember I wrote a bunch of poems (I wrote a lot back in the day), and I remember designing the whole thing in Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. I really would like to find that one day because I have a feeling it was atrociously designed. I didn't know what I was doing, and it would be really funny to see. More importantly though I'd like to see the poems. If I were to find them in my mom's house, it would be like finding a treasure. I think I may know where they are, but I don't know where anything is anymore because my mom moved.

It would just be fun to see them, though.

Oh, and I got an A.

0 comments: