winnie the pooh

Sunday, January 23, 2011 | |



There's some magic in listening to a child tell a story. Children are untouched by the world in that their naiveté is a gift.

Children aren't afraid of sounding ridiculous or uncool, because they don't know what it means to be lame. They aren't afraid of how they are perceived the way the rest of us do, and that is beautiful.

First of all, this girl is adorable. I'm guessing she is French, and little kids with accents always sound adorable (even German!). She has wide eyes, and a cute little cropped haircut reminiscent of Krissy's.

Second, I'm not very familiar with Winnie-the-Pooh, I never attached myself to the story the way some people do, so some of my observations may be incorrect; if they are, pardon me.

I don't think the story has bats in it, but maybe it should. Bats are a natural part of the "circle of life" and they would cut down on the rodent population. That would mean more carrots for rabbit, no?

The way she says crocodiles, hippos, and giraffes is just too much, I'm sorry.

Oddly enough, she mentions poor, homeless animals, and putting them in jail. This is actually something we did, and something that The New Deal did away with. Unfortunately, the way poverty is rising among the elderly lately, that past may not be such a distant reality.

Part of the fun of listening to children tell stories is how linear they are. I don't mean they lack depth, because that's not true. What I mean is, they will just talk, and improvise. Like how Tigger found the monkeys, then he wanted strawberries, then there was a fight, and apparently Aslan was there with a helmet and a sword. People should really have children wrote movie scripts, I'd definitely go see a movie written by a child.

Midway through the video, something is telling me this is about Schnappi das kleiner crokodil.

0 comments: